About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in San Diego. Currently I'm a grad student at SDSU (class of 2013) studying Rehabilitation Counseling to help people with disabilities get the accessability and accomodations they need to achieve their potential! I'm an alum of Helix High, Rick's College & BYU. Yes, I'm a Mormon & I served a mission in The Texas Dallas Spanish/ASL Mission. Although it wasn't always true, I'm now successfully living with Schizoaffective Disorder. I've been blessed with a great family and many friends. Enjoy!

Monday, August 23, 2010

A Brilliant Read

Okay, right now I am in the middle of reading a captivating autobiography which accurately details living with schizophrenia. It's called "The Center Cannot Hold" by Elyn Saks.

In reading this book I am amazed at how vivid and true it is. Not many people have endured psychosis, depression, paranoia or delusions and yet are able to communicate the experience in a way others can understand. The truth behind so many of her simple statements is what got my attention.

Saks should be applauded for opening up her mind to others in a way that hopefully will work to dispel the stigma associated with living with a "severe mental illness".

Obviously every individual with Schizophrenia lives with it differently. Thoughts are as unique as the individual. I have to admit though, Elyn's process in dealing with her illness is much the same as mine has been. I highly encourage everyone to read this book. -MOPS
 
You can find it in your local library or on amazon at
http://www.amazon.com/Center-Cannot-Hold-Journey-Through/dp/1401309445/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1282622733&sr=1-1

2 comments:

Jeanine said...

I clicked on the amazon site and read some of the book. Seems like a well-written book! She was 8 (when she 1st realized?), how old were you? Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

Jeanine, I struggled with depression when I was in HS. Something about waiting for sleep to come spurred on many a night of shed tears. It wasn't just crying because I was sad. at the time I was told it was just part of getting hormones, but I've talked to some of my "normal" friends, and their sadness never seemed as dark as theirs was. Not to belittle their sadness, but there is a distinct difference between sadness and depression.

On my mission I had a LOT of depression and problems with my thoughts. I was obsessed with being obedient. It wasn't just following the rules. It was following them to the letter. If I wasn't in bed RIGHT on the dot of 10:30 and realized it at 10:31 I would start to think I was a HORRID missionary. Not worthy of the spirit because I was SO disobedient. It's odd, I can't remember my mission. Or more than the names of my companions and the name of my mission president. But I do remember that retched moment I was using the bathroom once at10:32pm and started crying becuase I wasn't in bed where I was supposed to be.

As far as the delusions are concerned, I don't know if that falls into it, or if that falls more into OCD.

I did have my first auditory/visual halucination
when I was in college. I think it was the night that my fiance broke up with me. I'm not really sure if that's true though because recently I was talking to one of my roommates at college. She said that night I was crying so hard she was worried about me and called the crisis line at the Y. I have no memory of any of that---