About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in San Diego. Currently I'm a grad student at SDSU (class of 2013) studying Rehabilitation Counseling to help people with disabilities get the accessability and accomodations they need to achieve their potential! I'm an alum of Helix High, Rick's College & BYU. Yes, I'm a Mormon & I served a mission in The Texas Dallas Spanish/ASL Mission. Although it wasn't always true, I'm now successfully living with Schizoaffective Disorder. I've been blessed with a great family and many friends. Enjoy!

Friday, September 03, 2010

School's Back in Session!

Greetings!


This past week I made the plunge and went back to school! Not only that, I'm going full-time! I haven't gone FT---and completed the semester---since 1995. Um. So, I'm excited about school and nervous about the load. It was interesting because I went to each class and none of them seemed all that hard. I mean, read a chapter or two a week, interview a few people and write a big paper at the end of the semster? Big deal! Then, I started reading. I sat down today (at 9:30am) to read. I was sitting at the kitchen table. I was alone. The seconds were clicking away and I wasn't paying all that much attention to the noise of that silly clock. I read. I read and I READ. After 2 hours I'd read eleven pages! ELEVEN! HELLO!! Good grief. speed. I am just to the point where I was able to read a 300 pg novel  in a little over a month. That's better than how long it ook me to read one in Jan. AND I really worked on my reading comprehension. I've been able to increase my vocabulary. (Started working hard on it last year when I saw a free class on culinary art and asked someone what kind of art it was, "because I love art!" She just kind of looked at me. Paused, then  asked if I was really an editor in college. I couldn't even give her a real answer to that one. I called one of my professors and asked them if they knew. Come to find out I worked as the student editor for the linguistic/grammer professor. He had me read papers submitted by other professors for publishing nationwide. My other professor said I was an editor for the honors dept. nice.) And culinary means . . . ? I had to go home and look it up myself! Cooking? and come to find out that's a common word! but, if you're reading this, you probably already know that . . . and I'm feeling like a goof right now. ;)

Anyway . . . I've got my work cut out for me!

Today did turn out well though. This afternoon I went to a Deaf Branch primary activity. POOL PARTY! Aside from the frequent comments about my glowing white legs. It was so much fun! Something about doing cannon balls, having water fights, screaming your guts out, teaching kids how to float on their backs, tread water and swim new strokes. Throwing them up in the air as they scream, laughing into the water while others are pulling at me for their turn. Yes, by the end of the evening I was smiling from ear to ear. Something about having 7 screaming kids tell me how AWESOME I am---went to my head. That, and a little sweetheart guessed my age as TWENTY-SIX! What more could a girl want? Faster reading comprehension? Naw, I'll take the kids. Afterward I was thinking about it. I doubt parents get told how awesome they truly are on a regular basis. So, Mom and Dad, you are SO AWESOME! I love you to pieces and then I love all your pieces! -MOPS

No comments: