About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in San Diego. Currently I'm a grad student at SDSU (class of 2013) studying Rehabilitation Counseling to help people with disabilities get the accessability and accomodations they need to achieve their potential! I'm an alum of Helix High, Rick's College & BYU. Yes, I'm a Mormon & I served a mission in The Texas Dallas Spanish/ASL Mission. Although it wasn't always true, I'm now successfully living with Schizoaffective Disorder. I've been blessed with a great family and many friends. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Produce Section

the cantaloupe
I saw you in the produce there
and thought to myself, do I really dare
pick out a fine melon and take it straight home
risking the fact you’ll be all alone
in my kitchen lying atop the counter or worse
in the frig to freeze solid (next to my purse)
just to find you weeks later
behind the soft moldy tater
whose eyes long and white—
just the thought causes fright—
for it too I’d bought, with intentions to eat,
yet consistently forgot it (along with the meat)
so cantaloupe tell me, you think I should chance it
taking you home, though there’s threat you’ll go rancid?

I wrote this poem for a class and was thinking about it this evening and laughing hard at the fact that I could actually remember the first two lines . . . maybe the memories are returning!

Don't tell me you have NEVER bought something only to have it go rotten while hidden in the back recesses of your fridge or fruit bowl. That's the hazard of buying fresh fruit for one. Or bread, veggies and milk products. I've even poured a bowl of cereal here and noticed that it had bugs in it. Not something you want to see floating in the milk with the rice chex!!

Happy Halloween! We had probably 12 trick-or-treaters here. I guess I'll have to pawn the rest of the candy off on my roommate and her son. Me and my booted costume! I'll have to take a picture of it. Simply put, I dressed up as the friendly neighborhood schizophrenic . . . with two orthotic boots.
-MOPS

2 comments:

Sharla said...

Sadly, I've had to throw away many a "science experiment" from my fridge. Too many to count. Why do we do this?

We only had 2 trick-or-treaters. But we were at my bro's house most of the evening. I sent the rest of our candy to cub scouts w/ my son to share w/ all the boys. I needed it out of my reach. :)

Sarah said...

Sharla,
I think we end up with science experiments because we have this deep seated desire to become the next nobel prize winner for science.

If Obama can win his for good intentions then we can win one with our refrigerator chemistry projects.